RSS 2.0 Feed
RSS 2.0

Atom 1.0 Feed
Atom 1.0

Must Have .NET Developer Podcasts

In my last post I mentioned some of the podcasts that I've been listening to that have inspired me as a .NET developer. I thought it would be a good idea to start a list of all the podcasts that have taken over my Zune lately and some that I am planning on checking out.

My Current Favorites

HerdingCode is just a great discussion between Jon Gallaway, K. Scott Allen, Kevin Dente, and Scott Koon on .NET development topics. I suppose the thing that I really like about it is that it's just down to earth, like you're just listening in on a conversation that they would be having anyway.

There's likely few that don't know who Scott Hanselman is. He manages to carry the same passion and energy he shows on his blog to the Hanselminutes show. His co-host is Carl Franklin (see DotNetRocks below) who is always equally as great.

DotNetRocks, from Carl Franklin, has been around for a long time. Carl keeps interesting topics on the show that range from development related, to technology. The show isn't supposed to be a show about .NET, but is a show for .NET developers. Carl's co-host is Richard Campbell, who always seems to know what he is talking about.

Deep Fried Bytes is a show from Keith Elder and Chris "Woody" Woodruff. This is more of a technology show, but with a strong slant for .NET developers. Very laid back and they've had some great guests.

The Alt.NET podcast is a podcast from the ALT.NET movement that focuses on improving ourselves as developers, challenging assumptions, and looks at things available to help us in our pursuit of excellence as software developers. This is one I've just added to my list, so I'm still pretty much getting started with it. So far it's been great (but it is a bit less casual than some of the others I've listed).

Others I Plan on Checking Out

Are there any other great ones I'm missing from the list?

Leave a comment below.

1. Ryan Jameson 7/30/2008 3:55 PM
    Thanks for the list Ryan. I'm gonna start listening when I go running. I could definitely use some inspiration.
  2. Ian Patrick Hughes 7/30/2008 5:50 PM
    StackOverflow is a must. Not that you'll gain anything technical from listening, but its very enjoyable and thoughtful in it's own way.
  3. Ryan Farley 7/30/2008 6:22 PM
    Thanks Ian. I've clicked through an episode of StackOverflow and had the same impression so far. Not a lot of "inspirational" or highly informative or technical content, but still enjoyable to listen to.

4. Adrian H. 7/31/2008 3:50 AM
  5. Jason Haley 7/31/2008 8:48 AM
    Interesting Finds: July 31, 2008
  6. superjason 7/31/2008 12:05 PM
    Are there any video podcasts? Would you watch one if there was one? I had someone suggest that I create a weekly development video podcast. Basically a 5 minute overview for developers that might not have checked out the latest stuff going on the community.
  7. Ryan Farley 7/31/2008 12:11 PM
    Hi superjason. Yes, the ones I like are dnrTV (See It is awesome. It is the show with the DotNetRocks podcast I mentioned. Also, a reader commented on another post about, which I've not watched yet put looks promising. Of course, there is always the "How To" videos on MSDN and the videos on Channel9 which are nice

8. superjason 7/31/2008 12:18 PM
    Thanks for the quick response!

I was actually thinking something more like this, but for .NET developer news:

9. Ryan Farley 7/31/2008 12:23 PM
    Ah, I see, more like "news". I don't know of any that are .NET specific (none come to mind). There's some good general technology ones though.
  10. A Continuous Learner's Weblog 7/31/2008 9:17 PM
    A Continuous Learner's Weblog: Links (7/31/2008)
  11. Rhonda Tipton 8/1/2008 7:50 AM
    Great list. I also suggest Pixel8 and The Thirsty Developer. Here is a list of all the podcasts that I currently listen to on my 2 hrs of commute time every day.

Take care.
  12. Ryan Farley 8/1/2008 9:31 AM
    Thanks Rhonda. That is quite a list! I've been planning on picking up Pixel8 already and the Thirsty Developer sounds promising.

13. Rhonda Tipton 8/3/2008 7:29 PM
    Weekly Link Post 53
  14. 8/3/2008 8:28 PM
    You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from
  15. paan 8/4/2008 12:55 AM
    Stack overflow: Joel spolsky from Joel On software and Jeff Atwood from Coding horror. Their blogs are great. Get the podcast, those two together, i'm sure you'll learn a thing or two.

Just my 2 cents though.
  16. Andy 8/7/2008 8:13 PM
    I have book marked your site.
    keep up the good posts!
  17. Ian Mechanic 3/4/2010 1:15 AM
    Great list.

I have two i feel i need to add.

Stackoverflow with Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky is a must. aka IT Conversations.
    And run as Radio. not a dotnet podcast but I have found the info to be a great source of IT know how and as a developer is extra tools in the toolbox.
Comments have been closed on this topic.

Also see my CRM Developer blog